Eyes

Disclaimer: Same as always. I don't own DBZ, I'm not making any money off this, so don't sue me.

Frieza slept. He did not want to. Sleep brought dreams, and dreams were what haunted him. Always the same dream. Eyes, accusing eyes, staring at him from the darkness of space. Saiyan eyes, fish-like eyes, Namek eyes. Black eyes that turned green as black hair flared up and became golden. Monkey eyes, Zarbon's eyes, his father's eyes. Every race he had ever destroyed watched him, whispering, always whispering.

"Frieza was beaten by a monkey."

"A monkey."

"Monkey, monkey, monkey."

"Lord Frieza is weak."

Shaking his head, he backed away, only to run into more aliens, more eyes. Multi-faceted eyes, eyes that looked and saw nothing, Dodoria's eyes, all eyes, surrounding him. There was no way out. Two figures stepped forward from the mass. One was a man with rooster-like black hair, dark black eyes. He screamed and his hair flew up, turned golden blond, flames flickering, flicker-fly, flicker-fly, around him, bright strong merciless green eyes. The other was Vegeta, with a hole through his chest, standing staring screaming golden. Over his shoulder watched the face of the flute-girl. Why was she here? The flute-girl who had worked for the Ginyus, the one with the tight brown belt that looked suspiciously like a tail, the one who had played at a banquet and then run away.

"No…no! It can't be…" Her face matched Vegeta's perfectly, and then her black hair turned golden, and flame licked around her face. Three pairs of deep green eyes stared at him, boring into him, reading him like a book. He tried to back up more and hit something, whipping around. More eyes, more and more eyes. Ice-colored eyes, blue eyes, black eyes, red eyes, golden eyes, brown eyes, grey eyes, green eyes, old eyes, young eyes. Eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes………. He couldn't stand it anymore. He started to scream.

A sharp smack awoke him, and he looked up into the angry eyes of King Kold. "Your screaming is disturbing my rest. Be quiet."

"Gomen nasai, otosan." He subsided onto the bed, as quiet as possible, and went back to sleep. For once, he reflected as sleep took him, he would like to be untroubled by dreams. Falling into a dreamless sleep, he awoke in the morning not remembering what he had dreamed, the same old arrogant Lord Frieza. They would be on Earth in three days.

*****

In a different time, Mirai Trunks also slept, and his dreams were filled with eyes. But they were always the same eyes. Cold, ice-blue, emotionless eyes, that swooped and attacked continually. Deaths reflected themselves in his mind's eye, and he tried to get away, to get out. It was impossible. No matter what happened, neither he nor anyone else would ever forget those eyes. They stared, assessing, checking, running down people in cars, aiming a ki blast at him and he could not get away, no, he could not move to block….

*****

At the same time, the underfed woman in the guest room shuddered in her sleep, hands moving convulsively as if to cover her face. Someone who was not human, not Saiyan, covered in a purple hooded robe, short and frightening, terribly strong, stood in the doorway of what looked like an endless black void. Four men stood behind him, not human, not Saiyan, chuckling as they watched her cower into a corner. Heartless, cruel, amused eyes, eyes that were suddenly larger than she was, and she slammed her hands into a thick, clear glass wall. She watched helplessly as Trunks, the man who had saved her, was shot at with ki, and fell back and died. Frantically she looked from side to side, hoping to see Kami or Mr. Popo or even Piccolo, even though he wasn't very nice. But there was nobody but those who had killed Trunks, and they looked at her huddled on the bottom of the bottle and laughed at her fear and oh she was all alone and she screamed and woke up.

*****

Unlike the others, Goku slept in his space pod for a while oblivious to the problems of the universe. There was a field, and his wife and son were there, looking at him with eyes that were warm and loving. He laid out the picnic that they had brought and they all ate, happy, laughing and smiling, a family together for at least a little while. Chichi laughed as he ate half the food they had brought, then rummaged in the bottom of the basket.

"It's time for your medicine, dear." Medicine? Her hand came out of the basket bearing a needle and he freaked out and scrambled up a nearby tree.

*****

Curled up under a disheveled yellow blanket, Bulma dreamed of Vegeta. She sat and was startled as his spaceship landed, and he came out quietly, not looking as annoyed as he usually did. For some reason, he bowed, and was very polite.

What's gotten into him? Looking at him carefully, something struck her. His eyes…they still didn't look grouchy. Even the thick eyebrows that occasionally gave him a very sour expression looked normal. Suddenly he kissed her. She blinked. Forget Yamcha. I could get to like Vegeta like this.